- Plain square weave (woven over one, under one)
- Low-carbon steel mesh
- Inexpensive and tough but rusts easily
- For fireplace screens, small guards, oil strainers
- See individual items for cutting instructions
- Plain Steel Filter Discs
Features and Uses
More information about plain steel wire mesh
Plain steel screens are inexpensive and tough. These mesh are also refered to as low-carbon steel mesh.They do not resist corrosion well. These plain steel meshes are plain square weave (over one, under one).
Plain steel Wire Mesh - Examples of Uses
- Fireplace screens
- Small guards
- Oil strainers
Plain steel Wire Mesh - Cutting
Plain steel meshes with wire diameters from .001 inch to .010 are easily cut with scissors. The heavier wire diameters from .011 up to about .047 can be cut with tin snips. Wire diameters over .047 inches are difficult to cut with hand tools but a compound aircraft-style hand shear can usually nibble its way through.
Plain steel Wire Mesh - Choosing
To visual various meshes, our website gives detailed descriptions and pictures of many plain steel meshes. For someone unfamiliar with wire mesh terminology, 2 mesh has two wires in each direction in a square inch. You could easily pass a pencil through the openings. 16 mesh is what is used in a window or porch screens to keep out common insects. 60x40 mesh is the size commonly used in kitchen faucets. An 80 mesh has an opening which will barely pass a human hair. A piece of paper is about three thousandths (.003) of an inch.
Plain steel Wire Mesh - Look and Feel
Plain steel mesh is a fairly stiff material and is prone to rusting .
Since the surface of plain steel mesh is affected by the atmosphere, we try to package carefully to protect it as much as possible but we still cannot guarantee the finish when you get it.
TWP Inc. will provide samples for your testing and inspection. The cost is $10 per sample (plus USPS freight charge). The sample sizes are as follows:
- 8 mesh and coarser: Sample size is 6 inch x 6 inch
- 10 mesh and finer: Sample size is 3 inch x 3 inch Plain steel wire mesh samples are available and can be ordered online.
Plain steel Wire Mesh - Discs
- 500 standard disc diameters
- Same day delivery on stock items
- Tolerance to +/- .001 inch
- Special diameters in three days Our "Quot-O-Matic" Disc pricer can get you quick quotes by phone. To get a quote for plain steel mesh discs: Indicate disc diameter, mesh and quantity.
The pictures below are courtesy of Meris Barreto. These items are part of the "Suburban Samurai" collection made out of 60 mesh Plain Steel.
If you would like to view more of Meris's artwork, please visit her portfolio at http://www.merisbarreto.com/portfolio.html.